This year, Temple Christian College is celebrating 30 years and today, at our annual team building day, we took some time to celebrate our school community, where we have been and where we are going.
A highlight for me was conversing with staff, both teaching and non-teaching, about their motivations for working in schools. It was wonderful to hear teachers speak passionately about their subject areas and their desire to help students fulfil their potential, even after they leave school.
After sharing personal motivations for teaching, discussion moved to looking at successful and rewarding teaching episodes. As a school, we are in the process of developing a school wide pedagogy that lines up with our vision, mission and values. After sharing classroom experiences my group prioritised the practices listed below as the ones they wanted to see in every classroom:
– Authentic – relating to each other genuinely and creating learning tasks that have real world application beyond the classroom walls.
– Passionate – seeing teachers passionate about learning and passing the passion on to the students, evidenced by active and engaged learning in the classroom.
– Inspiring – ‘sowing seeds‘ in students that will stay with them beyond the classroom motivating them to reach their full potential.
– Challenging – encouraging students to wrestle with and enjoy the challenges of learning, not simply focus on the grade or reward at the end.
– God honouring – as a Christian school we want our students to honour God in all things they do, both in and out of the classroom.
–Caring – we talked a lot about valuing EVERY student and ensuring we were creating a safe and secure environment in our classrooms where everyone felt loved and accepted.
I’m looking forward to seeing what the other groups came up with and future conversations about what we want our classrooms to look like at Temple Christian College. I feel privileged to work in such a supportive school community and look forward to us growing professionally, spiritually and personally together.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TEMPLE CHRISTIAN COLLEGE!